With heavy hearts, we announce the passing of our loving mother and Nonna. Maggie passed away on December 9, 2015 surrounded by her family.
Born in Cadomin, Alberta on March 13, 1929, she was the third of Karl and Eva Milobar’s seven children. She was predeceased by her husband and lifelong love, Delchi–semicolon– her parents–semicolon– sister Rose–semicolon– infant sister Grace–semicolon– brothers John, Tony and Mike–semicolon– sisters-in-law Delfina, Dorothy and Mary-Anne–semicolon– brothers-in-law Johnny, Antonio, Gino and Walter–semicolon– and daughter-in-law Vanisa. She grew up the daughter of a coal miner in Nordegg Alberta and had fond memories of her life in Nordegg and its people. Her parents made sure the family did not feel the hardships of the Depression years. Although money was tight, they showed her the importance of perseverance, education, self-sacrifice, family values, and hard work. She often told us of how the family supported each other – making sure that each one’s needs were met by doing whatever was necessary. Sunday dinner stories often included reminiscing about her years in Nordegg and her first job at the Brazeau Coal Mine.
In 1954, she and Delchi married and soon after moved to Edmonton to build their life together. She dedicated her life to her five children, Mario (Nancy), Dina, Perry (Kim), Danny (Darlene), and Randy (Kathy)–semicolon– and her ten grandchildren, Nicole (Eugene), Megan, Rebecca, Sarah (Dale), Kaitlin, Kristin, Ashley, Michael, Rachel and Nicholas. A good education was very important to her and she pushed each of her children and grandchildren to achieve academic success. When one of her children brought home a grade of 95%, she asked them what happened to the other 5%. As soon as they were out of earshot, she was on the phone to friends and family to proudly share stories of their success. She also took great pride in ensuring her home was clean in every corner and a warm meal was cooked for her family every night. An additional mouth or two to feed never phased her – and her children’s friends were always welcome at the DeMarco dinner table.
Our mom was happiest when she had her family and friends around her. DeMarco Christmas Eve parties became a wonderful tradition for so many over the years. The house was filled with music, tons of food, world famous Milobar baking, good Italian wine and lots of laughter.
We will miss her every day of our lives but find comfort in knowing she is now at peace and back at Delchi’s side. The family wishes to extend heartfelt appreciation to her sisters Eva and Mary, and sister-in-law Ada whose visits lightened her burden and put a smile on her face. Our thanks also go out to the staff at St Joseph’s Auxiliary Hospital for their compassionate care.
A Celebration of Life will take place at 10:00 a.m. on Monday, December 14, 2015 at Connelly-McKinley Funeral Home, 10011-114 Street NW, Edmonton. Interment of the urn to follow at Holy Cross Cemetery, 14611 Mark Messier Trail, Edmonton.