Our beloved Mom and Granny went home to the Lord on October 19, 2011 at the age of 92 years. Mom was born in Holden, Alberta where she lived until attending Normal School in Calgary in 1936. She returned to the Holden area and taught in a one-room school house for a number of years. She met Dad in Edmonton on New Year’s Eve, 1941 and they were married in September, 1942. As a member of the RAF, Dad’s duties required his return to England only a few months later. Mom followed at the end of WWII and they lived in England until 1948 at which time they returned to Canada. Mom spent many years teaching for the Edmonton Separate School Board, both as a substitute teacher and later, full-time at St. Pius X School. She retired in 1984 from St. Angela School, having taught grades 1 & 2 there for over 21 years. Mom was a perennial favourite of the students, many asking to be in “the flower lady’s” class. Mom enjoyed her retirement years travelling and spending time with her grandchildren. Her gentle nature and generous spirit will be remembered and missed by all who knew her.
She is survived by her son, Pat (Susan) and daughters, Mary Ellen Haggerty and Margaret (Ed) Tapuska; 14 grandchildren, 15 great-grandchildren; sister, Eileen (Fred) Romaniuk, sister-in-law, Eleanor Birch, as well as many nieces, nephews and friends. Mom was predeceased by her husband, Bill; parents, Ellen and Philip Connolly; son, Fr. John Rose; son-in-law, Gordon Haggerty; sister, Mary Fleming and brothers, Pat Fleming, Philip and Donal Connolly. The family wishes to thank the staff at Capital Care Grandview for the excellent care she received in the last months of her life. We also wish to thank mom’s dear friends, Sister Annata, Margo Ballish and Julia Fiero for the many hours they each spent at her bedside.
Prayers will be held at 3:00 pm, Sunday, October 30, 2011 at Connelly-McKinley Funeral Home, 10011 – 114 Street, Edmonton. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at St. Edmund’s Catholic Church, 13120 – 116 Street, Edmonton at 11:00 am, Monday, October 31, 2011 with interment to follow at Holy Cross Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to The Sign of Hope Campaign, 8815 – 99 Street, Edmonton, AB, T6E 3V3 or St. Joseph’s Seminary c/o Catholic Archdiocese of Edmonton, 8421 – 101 Avenue, Edmonton, AB, T6A 0L1.